DragonLance Chronicles Reborn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The world of Krynn...in digital, interactive form.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

journal of Aiauta

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 8:16 pm

After learning all I can of the outside world from the books in the village some borrowed some in storage I made my way out of the desert. The question is which way do I go. To the east are elves to the west an old city called Tarsis. I choose to go west to see what I may find. being unsure of the elves culture. The village is far removed from other elves for longer than my lifespan. I might feel too alien to them.

Entering Tarsis I find strange dragon men not in the books of the village. I find they are called Draconians and that is all. I watch the goings about of people unsure of myself. I am directed to the old docks where beneath are boarded up tunnels. Skeletons attack me. I quickly grab a few things and run using a spell for fleeing.

Coming back I find the ladder I used to get over the wall is broken. For now I am stuck on the other side of the wall of the city. This is fine. The solitude is refreshing after all the many people of the city. They make me nervous there are too many in too small a space making me feel slightly agitated. I will sell what I have and travel again when getting out of this predicament for there seems to be no teacher here to aid me. My first task is to find a teacher so that I will not become a renegade as the books read. I must find this teacher and take a test at a tower.

On Tarsis: It is a large place filled with people. There is a hall of justice. Traders circled around a market square. and an inn called the Red dragon or something similar. There is a dried up old dockyard and there are undead underneath the docks. There is also a bounty hunter outside the gates that will pay for skeleton knuckles or the ears of fugitives.

During the exploration underneath the docks I have acquired some things 4 skeleton knuckles for the bounty hunter. A set of chain mail to which I can barely carry and a spell called charm monster I will sell these and journey to the next city. I would like to keep the spell but being out of these trading coins I must have enough to travel with in my quest to find a mentor.

Last edited by winterhawk99 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.harvestmoonconsortium.com
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 12:31 am

It took a full day and night for the guard to make a new ladder. The woman that sells potions and I; spoke of alchemical formulas as they worked. When finally we were over the wall I sold what I acquired finding slightly more trading coin than what I came here with. I made my way to a small village called Rigitt where I boarded a ship.

The captain wanted no coin to accompany him. It was a cargo ship. I made use of my time by helping the crew tie knots when the occasion came up. This sea with its waves gave me at times a sickness I have never known. Its nauseating like a strong flu. We made our way to a huge city called Caergoth.

The city is loud, unclean, and holds too many people in my view. I explored it as fully as possible. I first found an inn or hostel as my new friend/companion Znu called it. I rested within a room after trading 30 coins with the owner.
Once rested I found an alchemy shop run by a man called Gedron. A busy man. Too busy to answer questions from a foreigner. I found two temples one to the goddess of healing Mishakal. and one to the dragon god Palantine. I am not sure what to think of gods and how others worship. We do not worship any gods but my teachings tell me many on Krynn do. The priestesses of Mishakal use magic but it is of such a strange nature to what I know. Is it faith that give them this power. I must study this magic further and its concepts.
I also found jousting grounds. They were not busy. A bored knight running his horse down the lanes asked me to joust him. I guess he didn't think that my frail frame would break just getting onto the horse. I politely refused. The knight seemed disappointed.

After exploring and mapping the city I decided to go north. That was a bad mistake. Wolves stopped my progress very quickly. They almost caught me one chewing my arm as I worked the spell of fleeing. Lucky for me the spell did not fail and I outpaced him running until I saw the guard. The wolf disappearing back into the forest. Two things I did notice just north of the city. The first are all the trees. The great trees are giants compared to our olive and palm trees. The other part is that the city is built jutting out from the cliffs of the coast. It must have taken centuries to move the rock and earth to build Caergoth out into the sea or exceptional magic.

I was just about to take a ship to a new city when a woman of good nature showed up at the docks. Her name is Znu. She was pleasant and wanted to see the city coming from a village much like my own. We went to Mishakals first. The priestess spoke about the monuments in the back. One is too a revered priestess by the name of Arwany. The priestess told us of her story of sacrifice. The other monument is dedicated to a woman by the name of Goldmoon. There is little known of this woman but she is also a heroin from a past age.

The priestess directed us to a school for the art. A mage school. Znu and I spoke with the master of the school, one Bartane. After much discussion he has agreed to take me on as a pupil. This alleviates the worry I have of becoming a renegade mage, as my parents have put into my head all the gruesome things a renegade has in store for them if they are caught. I will do my best to study carefully and take this mage test when the time comes. I am happy to say I have achieved my first goal. I will also look for things I can do to pay my way. My alchemy skills are decent though I have much to still learn. Hopefully that will be enough. I start my learning on the morrow.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 5:20 pm

The first few days at the school are a study on ethics. How to use magic properly. Concerns of magic of the populace. How to treat other magi, and proper ethics when at the towers. There are not many pupils here. That may be why Master Bartrane has taken me on as a pupil.

I have also built a relationship with Gedron mostly through messages sent back and forth through our familiars. I have collected some alchemical supplies though him with not much trading coin. We have struck a deal so that I may pay him in potions made for more supplies. This trade I like better than these coins for I know somewhat the value of my work better than I know the medium of exchange for this kingdom. I also have been making potions for Master Bartrane. I do not know what he does with them. I assume he sells them also to Gedron at a discounted price. I feel good that I found a means for paying for my education.

On Master Bartrane I find he is a good and quite man. Getting information and wisdom from him can be as hard as pulling ones own teeth out, but I do not think he holds it back from any avarice. He seems to be succumbing to the frustrations of an elder and some forgetfulness. I am looking for a book so that I can brew non-magical potions so that I may help him ease these frustrations.

Mushrooms and other edible plants are plentiful outside the gates of the city. I pulled a book on them from the schools library and hunt for plants according to the seasons. I am especially careful with each for there are many plants that look the same which are poisonous to ingest. When I was home there was no problem. We grew the plants and spices we needed. Here I have to be careful for the plants of the region can be quite different. The common tree mushroom is good here. Much more woody than the ones we grow but taste good with a bit of common spice. When I eat I always take a plate for my teacher. Sometimes he enjoys it. Other times (mostly in the late hours) he leaves it beside him and nods off in his favorite chair by the fire.

Soon We will start with spell craft and spell theory. I already know much about this being taught by my parents decades ago but will review. I hope to find something new and interesting on mage craft itself while staying here.

That is all I have to write for now. My seeking has ended for the moment so that I may become a full and acceptable magi to this foreign culture. Thus far things are going well. I hope that when ready, Master Bartrane will send me out to see more of the world be it just couriering messages to other masters in different cities. I must also seek the world and know it for my own village over the next few score of years.

Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 2:35 am

"Aiauta! There is blood on the Floor!?"
"I know Master Bartrane. I'll clean it up as soon as I clean my clothing"
"May I come in?"
"Yes."
The door to the room opens. The white robed mage comes in seeing the young woman trying to clean her travel clothing. He sits on the bed while she sits on a stool washing the clothes.
"What happened?"
"I heard there was a waterfall to the east of the city. I went to explore it. Lots of things grow near water both edible and for use in alchemy, Lotus, watercress, cat-tails. Wolves barred my path. I started to flee when a bounty hunter showed up. We fought them together. I had to kill one of them."
"Did you use magic?"
The young elf nods to him slowly, "At first a spell of fleeing. When the bounty hunter showed up I turned around to help him. I used a small fire spell and cantrips of cold finally resorting to my walking stick to defend myself."
"How do you feel about killing the wolf?"
"It was necessary. The wolf would not back away. I tried not to kill them. They just kept coming."
The old man smiles before saying, "It looks like you're still bleeding."
She unwraps the bandage on her leg. It looks like a fairly nasty wound.
"I'll show you a salve you can make. its not magic but will keep the slow burn away. This will need stitches too. You have a needle and thread?"
"Yes"
The old man works with the young woman to stitch her up and make a salve. While doing so he talks, "You come from deep in the forest and eat the plants of the forest Aiauta. I see this in the way you go out and make good meals from what you find, but this isn't a small protected village. Outside the keep there are dangers. Be careful find your plants close to the keep for now. You will learn and get stronger Then you will be able to venture out."
The young woman frowns, but agrees to him, "I will try to stay closer to the keep. I cannot promise if there are herbs I need but I will do my best."
The old magi pats her on the shoulder, smiling, "Ah the youth always think they are immortal. That will pass eventually. It is enough for now that you will try. And you came back to help the hunter. That was good on you Aiauta. You will make a fine student I think."
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 8:16 pm

Master Bartrane has sent me out to give letters to others in the nearby towns and cities. One is a man called Spinie near the city of Solanthus, Another a woman in Solanthus proper Mantos the Herbalist, and the last a herbalist in Garnet. Neither he nor she told me her name.

The entire trip took me a week. On the first night I practiced my elven. I fear my dialect and accent may feel strange to other elves. I practice my words listening closely to how they should be properly pronounced and accented. Until I listen to another of my kind I cannot be sure how far off the my accent is compared to theirs. Sadly I have seen no other elves thus far on my journey. When opportunity affords itself, and I encounter another of my kind I will listen carefully to their speech and accent without speaking myself hopefully I will be able to pick up how the words are said and the differences from my dialect and theirs.

On The second day I neared Solanthus when to my delight I found patches of almost ripened gooseberries winding their way north. Gooseberries! What a marvelous surprise however they can bitter, sweet and sour. And all on the same bush. As I winded my way north collecting them I found a camp of woodcutters. The smell of the wood they cut fills the air with a unique fragrance I find very pleasant. I took to a small hill and watched them for several hours before continuing my collections.

I followed the berries around the camp until I came upon the edge of an old dark forest. I stepped a few feet within along a walking path or animal path. I do not know which perhaps both. The old trees with their many limbs groaned and creaked loudly. The leaves constantly rustled with the breeze. Strange animal noises came from deep within the forest. I started to have the feeling that I was being watched and not by anything of good intent. Retreating slowly I kept my face to the forest until I was within good seeing distance of the log cutters. I then walked back to the crossroads to continue on my journey.

I delivered my letter to Spinie first, and bought a second city dress my old one now slightly bloodstained from the wolf attack a month ago. The next morning I delivered the letter to Mantos. She was happy to receive it. While in Solanthus I bought a new bedroll sleeping at a nearby campsite that night. Then off to Garnet to see the herbalist there.

During the walk to Garnet I reflected upon our small village. I wondered if perhaps I would encounter my real father upon this journey of seeking. Counsel has always been my father. I would never take that away from him and I do love him as any daughter would, but he is not my birth father. I sometimes question the ways of our village being so isolated from the rest of the world. I guess all of those I grew up around that are near my age are questioning this now. Enough writing about depressing subjects. The air is clear and warm the days are pleasant I need to think of the good things I have encountered on my journeys and all the good people that I have met. The walk to Garnet was uneventful other than my contemplative mood. I delivered the letter to the herbalist. She snatched the letter out of my hand and said, "Tis about time Lassie!" Waving me off with her hand I retreated to the road and started walking back to Caergoth.

The road west takes me directly past the waterfall east of Caergoth. This time I was prepared and manage to avoid the packs of wolves that haunt the area. Back at the school I spoke with Master Bartane about the trip and having delivered all the letters. When he was satisfied I went back to my room for some much needed rest.

Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 am

The second phase of my education with Master Bartane started off with trade coin. Even with my careful handling of this resource I found that soon I would no longer be able trade with these humans if I kept going. I needed to get to that waterfall so I could make potions from the plants I found along it.

So I braved the wolves with help. I called to me my companion Heckle. Heckle looks like a little dragon with a stinger but his kind are not really related to the huge beasts. In our language they are called sting lizards and they are plentiful in the area. Still the humans seem to take a step back with a bit of reverence when he shows up. They seem to not know the differences. We worked together now that I had time to use my spells and crossbows without the wolves directly attacking me. We soundly defeated them.

We came upon the waterfall. It was very large and beautiful to behold. As I was collecting my plants I found that there was a large cave that smelled bad behind the falls. Heckle being very mischievous and adventurous seemed to want to go into the cave. I acquiesced to his desire. Keeping to the shadows We cautiously walked in, as I threw up my meager spell shields. Rounding the corner Heckle picked out the small green and brown creatures. They were goblins. After a very long and tiring fight. We defeated all of them taking what we could from the cave.

There were chests on a mound. I thought that is where their most valuable items must be. I neared the chests and became sick when I went to walk up upon the mound there must have been a trap. Heckle was sorely wounded from the fight. I was wounded and poisoned, and could not make a potion for a poison I know nothing about. We limped back to the school calling for Master Bartrane.

Master Bartrane chided me more for letting Heckle get hurt than anything else. I was covered with blood some my own but mostly the goblins. He deduced what kind of poison infected me, calling the priestess of Mishakal to help. Then he sat down beside me bed and after hearing the full story said, "You are a surprisingly complex woman, Aiauta. You do not necessary seek out adventure but something within harkens you to go out. I know I can't keep you indoors. After all you're an elf. I can give you some focus. So I will send you as a courier farther than you have been to my associates in distant lands. In between we will study and prepare for your testing."

Over the next week He taught me two new spells The first that he has. The first was a spell to strengthen my frail frame from injury. The second spell casts a permanent illusion of light upon an item. When I had the spell mastered he winked at me saying, "There are a lot of women folk out there that would be very happy to have this spell put on their dresses so they could walk peacefully at night. They would be willing to trade much coin to have a dress like that."

I smiled and thanked him. The first place he sent me was a place called crossings. to deliver supplies to an old pupil of his. I did and sold some dresses I picked up from Gedron. Crossing is a small town it doesn't have the bad smells of Caergoth and much less people. I would have liked it much better if He had placed his school here instead of the crowded smelly city it is in now.

The next place He sent me was a place called Solace where I was to deliver supplies to the mistress there by the name of ilia. She was pleasant enough and even let me trade with her. There were so many students in the school however it made my skin itch. After thinking a moment I will take Caergoth anytime over Solace for I could not stand living in a place with so many students all crammed into rooms that should only hold one.

After my delivery I noticed this was a place of elves. I wandered carefully listening to their talk, language, inflections, and accents. I picked up three separate tones to their speaking. Afterward I got a room at the inn. It exists within a live tree and even has a fireplace. What a wonderful feat of engineering. The city itself is much cleaner than human cities but still there are way too many people for such a small parcel of land.

During my stay I met a tailor of sorts. She wanted to make dresses for me other than the simple robes I wear. She asked me many questions. I told her I was a student of the arcane in Caergoth and a courier for the schools master. I also told her that I sold magic dresses on the side for women in the towns traveled too. The woman got excited and pulled me into the back of her shop. She brought an elven model out near my size and started modeling clothing. I told her I didn't have much of the trading coins used in barter. She dismissed the idea and told me to give her three of my dress inventory and 30 coins. I did and she told me to come back tomorrow.

The next day I arrived. She had three dresses for me two are armored in a light leather underneath to better protect me. The first is a simple dress used for travel. The next a mages robes made to both protect and give me room to use my hands freely. The last is an overly heavy full dress with a felt hat. She told me to wear it when I bartered and I may get a few more trading coin when I sell my dresses. I thanked her and left.

When I got back home to the school I fully invested myself in changing my accent to perfectly mimic the elves as Solace. Hopefully now my speech in elven is more sophisticated than that of an isolated villager. I worked with Master Bartrane on the history of many magical things of the lands and some history of the surrounding nations. He told me that the lore of the lands will help me understand better the ways of the many peoples. With that knowledge I will better be able to pick up an understanding of magic. I'm not sure how that all works but have to trust him on it. He seems a wise man for all his short years.

The latest place he has sent me was to Palanthus. Coming back I got lost within the mountains and encountered bandits. I used the spell of fleeing. Still an arrow found my arm and broke it. I found a strange keep within the ravines where the knights with the help of a priestess healed me. I did stay on the paths of the forest but should have expected bandits or some other nefarious types eventually. I will be more cautious while traveling and bring Heckle with me from now on. He is small but has a very poisonous sting and sharp eyes. Together we will be able to avoid the next ambush if there is one.

Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Master Bartrane has been keeping me close to school for many weeks now. He keeps switching my studies instead of letting me absorb them one by one. It can be confusing and frustrating at times. Alchemy, Herbalism...….Hearldry? Why on Krynn would he want me to study heraldry? I've also studied more spellcraft, alterantive methods of casting, More Lore and more lore. He has not teached me any more spells. at least not yet.
Some of the subjects I am fully enjoying. Studying the different disciplines of magic was my favorite that is until I hit a snag. Master Bartrane gave me a small scroll to call forth a ground squirrel. We walked to the jousting fields where there are many of these black and white striped rodents. There under his watchful eye I tried to cast the spell. Here I came upon a problem. No matter how I tried to read it the letters of the spell scroll would not focus for me. It upset me greatly.
He tried giving me other spells to use one that is suppose to cast a giant spiders web across the area. I could not read this spell either.
Master Bartrane was perplexed for but a moment then smiled, "I think I know the problem, here."
He throws an pear to me and yells, "Think quick its an Apple!"
The cantrip came to my mind with almost no thought and as I caught it, the spell had transformed it into an apple.
Master Bartrane laughs, "It's rare to have a mage like this but here is your problem Aiauta. Some people have an affinity for a discipline. They are stronger in it than any other discipline and can learn its nuances quickly. For those rare spellcasters there will be one discipline they cannot learn. You are a what is called a Transmuter. It's no wonder that you have such an affinity for herbalism and alchemy. Its as natural to you as breathing.
But calling forth a creature from the area and conjuring things into creation, that's your flaw."
I questioned, "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"
"It's neither good nor bad. Its like having red hair instead of brown Aiauta. Its just different and now I can tailor your education better now that we know you have a specialty."
I smile and said told him thank you for finding out. We went back to the school and studied more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to reflect on the humans I have met while I still have time to write in my journal. Most of the elders of the village view the other races as somehow beneath our people. As if they are not fully evolved. They do have some habits I find completely offensive such as being generally unclean, smelly, and the sheer fact that they are willing to eat flesh; However I have also come to know humans as wildly creative, strong and healthy, inventive, Their energy is insatiable. I find that they are not the beastly beings I have thought but a unique and interesting race which my people could stand beside not in front of.
I hope that after I am finished with seeking that I will write these and other thoughts down about the humans hopefully changing village opinion on them.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 am

I am Remiss! Being a so called transmuter has excited Master Bartrane. He comes to me with a scroll and asks if I understand it, saying it is a way to change my appearance. I accepted the scroll and try to read it. It is a complicated spell called polymorph self. I read the scroll and immediately know that it is much too complicated for me to cast. I look to him and the excitement in his eyes (an excitement I have noticed in many humans of late).
    I now have my first true test. Do I...…….attempt the change...……become something different; or do I tell him I am not quite ready for such a complicated spell.
    If I attempt to change it is fairly likely he will notice through spellcraft that I am trying to fool him. Do I go through the pain of transformation just to satisfy and feed his ego for my own benefit? Do I tell him I cannot read it?. Can I readily see the disappointment in his eyes?
    I struggle with these thoughts for a very long time. I watch his eyes as I deal with this dilemma seeing his curious interest. In the end I know from my heart that I cannot reveal myself even to one that I would call both a mentor and in some ways a grandfather. Seeking for the village is the most important of missions even beyond acquiring license to be a spellcaster among these strange peoples of the realms.
    I say to him that I can understand some of the spell but not the entirety.
    He looks slightly disappointed but smiles, "It is ok Aiauta. I thought that you may be ready for it. Lets then go over the language of magic."
    I heartily agree to the lesson and we move on.
    There will be more tests. I know there will be. What I am worried about is this mage test. Will if force me to reveal myself? I hope that the humans have forgotten the distant past and I may pass this test without having to go back home in disgrace by ending my journey before it is finished.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2018 4:58 am

I write today with a heavy heart. Master Bartrane sent me to a place called Haven. It rest near a river. The ground is swampy, the air dreary with rain much of the time. Outside the city I met a caravan of people offering games of chance. There was Dice, cards and a strange wheel with symbols on it.
    I know nothing about cards or dice so I chose to investigate this wheel. The man in the tent explained the game to me and vaguely described the odds. Reading the wheel I came up with the odds on my own. I spun the wheel three times. Each time I lost all my trade coin. I may have continued for it was a fun thing to do but loosing all my fee every time went against the odds. I looked at the wheel and back at the man concluding that the wheel itself must be balanced to his favor. I stopped playing heading the city to find the mage Eurgo.
    Once in the city; I began my investigation of this place in earnest. The people looked to me with grave suspicion. Fingers played with items just under their belts. Eyes narrowed as I crossed their paths. I found plenty of merchants to trade with but they bought low and gave me excessively high rates for their own wares except for two people. The woman tailor and Eurgo himself. He seemed to enjoy my presence while I dropped a letter on his counter for him and perused his wares.
    I am well aware of prejudice. I must say my own people carry humans in disregard. I did not think that humans would feel the same way about us as we of them. In the cities I have known until now I have not seen this Phenomena: That is until I ventured to Haven.
    After completing the task for Master Bartrane and trading all I could I went to investigate outside the walls for delicate edible bulbs that are rumored to grow in boggy ground. While gathering I found a site I could not believe. The humans of the city were caging their own kind. Confining them all in a big cage near a building just outside the south wall. I have never seen the brutal savagery of humans before. There were so many people in such a small space. It smelled of death and refuse. I had to turn my back and walk the other way.
    That wasn't the worst of it. I walked a mere hundred yards to find three heads upon spears stuck in the ground. They had decapitated three men! Flys swarmed the remains. Maggots fell from the noses and eye sockets of the heads. At this point I ran, little did I know I would come upon the worst sight yet!
      Running past a tree I heard a soft moan. Turning around I saw her. It was a woman Crucified against the tree with a dozen long dirks pinning her there. Blood slowly dripped from the wounds. She had defecated herself until there was nothing left in her bowels. Bug bites covered every inch of her exposed skin, yet her labored breathing said she still had life within her bones.
    At this point I almost fainted but I new in my heart I could not. Something had to be done. I looked carefully around to make sure no one saw me. It was a quite place. The cage they kept their own kind in misery was far away. The walls of the city were far enough away that no one would see clearly.
    I put my hand to my mouth in both fear and anger as tears started to flow from my eyes. Going up to her I slowly let her drink from my canteen. When she was quenched I put my hand to her cheek in sympathy. Her eyes looked to me in both gratitude and resignation.
    As my small dagger found her lung...…She smiled.
    I quickly and quietly left that city of horrors, Its uncaring people, and its barbarism. Coming back to the school I gave Master Bartrane the correspondence from the mages and herbalists he had sent me for. I was vague about my experiences in Haven. He seemed to know that something had happened and that I had a distasteful experience. He did not push me about it.
     As much as I love the humans that have become my friends on this journey. I hate their capacity for such evil. I must learn to guard myself better from those humans that would do these things and be more cautious when entering a new city.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 12:22 am

Master Bartrane puts me through a series of drills every day. "Change the color of the candles to blue today Aiauta. Change your dresses with magic." Change, change, make new. It as been exhausting.
    I am relieved that he has sent me to a new place to meet someone. The quiet walks along the roads and paths by myself does me good after all the people in the city constantly going about. It sometimes makes my head hurt.
    After two days waiting at the Three Friends inn. A mage in Red Robes walks in. We strike up a conversation. Now relaxed from being alone for awhile I can make small talk ( I think that is what the humans call it. It is a talk of pleasantry's before an exchange of some business.) The man drinks several drinks then mentions Master Bartane. I nod to him while passing him the reagents that he needs for his research. He then gives me a letter and a few potions. Now that business is concluded I stand up to make my way out and to the relief myself of the crowded inn filled with dwarfs.
    He Grabs my forearm gently.
    It startles me at first. I turn my head to look into his eyes. it is now he mentions, "I have heard there is a secret way into Qualinost just south of here? You wouldn't mention the way to an old man now would you?"
    I quietly say to him, "I could not mention such an thing to you. I am not an elder."
    Letting go of my arm and smiling he says to me, "I understand, Good day to you sister."
    Now out of the inn I look to the south and then north. On a hunch I go south and continue until I come to a massive Fortress. There are dirty humans living on the outside of the walls. They are dressed in rags. Perhaps it is the disadvantaged of the people who are not accepted in human society. I have read about these humans Gypsies, vagabonds, and street people. The place smells so badly with dirty air from fires within the fort that I turned around and started walking back.
    I find a camp just past the mountains. It is getting late so I decide to rest the night here among the forest and quiet sounds of the animals surrounding me. In the morning I wake up with fur in my face. The biggest wolf I have ever seen in my life (1/2 size larger than a horse) is sleeping almost on top of me!
    I squirm around for my spell components. Maybe I can charm him. Instead it wakes him up. He puts a huge leg over my chest and begins slurping and licking my face and hair. Is he taste testing his meal or something and now I smell like dog! I give up and take it. If he is going to eat me I really cant do anything about it.
    Just as I am thinking that the wolf gets off and starts to go into the woods to the west. I quickly roll my bedroll and follow him. I follow west at a great distance then slightly south. I start to hear voices and laughter. The wolf breaks off and runs away.
    I follow the voices to a small clearing. There is a tower of sorts a few empty merchant stalls and several elven guard. I have come to the outskirts of Qualinost our capital city. Going further I come to the city proper and stare at all its wonders. The city is clean. The water clear. The homes are set well apart enough for each to have its own garden. It is a place of peace.
    After exploring the city of wonders I come to the temple of the Sun. I go inside to find the elders quietly keeping court in a splendid hall. I giggle to myself wondering if Master Bartrane would perhaps like to move his school to this tiny spot of paradise surrounded by the realms of humans.
    I visit for several days meditating along the banks of the streams and rivers. Finding peace within myself after the recent horrors I have endured. And now I make my way back to the human lands and the city of Caergoth.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 4:45 am

The short days have come. Snow sometimes covers the ground then melts. When those sunny days come slush, horse dung and mud line the streets where wagons roll and knights trot. It is cold most days. Master Bartrane and I stick close to the fires of the tower when possible. When not we use spells to keep us warm. The city has become a muddy, cold hell. The good news is it doesn't smell as bad.
    On my last couriering journey I stopped by the tailors place. I spoke about not liking the cold. She laughed and said she had just the thing for me. Coming back a few days later She had made me a long coat of thick material and high black leather boots. She told me it would keep me warm. I thanked her and tried the apparel paying a little less for her services than normal. It seems I have become shrewder about merchandise these last months due to my business with clothing.

My apologies to myself for being short. My fingers are quite cold and tired from my studies.

At first I was thrilled. The clothing worked as she had promised. After a week the back of my heels blistered broke, blistered again and bled. My heel is raw from the friction of the boots. After two weeks my feet got use to them or they to the way I walk. My feet started to heal. Now I have callouses on my feet to protect them from these infernal torcher devises. I can walk with comfort now in the boots and my coat not only keeps me warm it protects my inner clothing from the mud and slush of the city. I am pleased.
    I will think back to this time in the decades to come. Read these passages and think to myself how much fun it has been for I will have forgotten the little irritations that I have to endure.
    There are a few things I should mention. When I was on my way to Solace from Crossings a caravan driver pleaded with me to take some supplies to the city he offered trading coin. As I looked into his eyes I suddenly understood that he could not get anyone to travel in this weather. I accepted more for the needs of Solace and the honesty in his eyes than anything else.
    Bandits accosted me twice. Both times Heckle alerted me to the dangers then flew off taking their attentions away from me while I cast my spells. One of the strongest spells I have is a spell to temporarily blind a person. I used it to blind the bandits hoping that they would break off their attack for the caravan's goods. Sadly it didn't. We had to put an end to their lives. I just don't know why they would not leave us alone even with my spells affects. It sadden my mood during the journey.
    While in Solace there was an unusually warm day. I traveled south to explore the outskirts and particularly a well worn trail off the road. What I found was something of a meeting place. Possibly for couples. There are Stairways built up the steep foothills and an area on a very large cone shaped hill with a tower upon its crest.
    Going up a found a peaceful quiet place of rest. Squirrels frolicked around the ground looking for their buried treasures. Several birds flew from bush to bush almost waiting for me to do something. What that is I am not quite sure but the place gave me some much needed peace.
    I found another odd thing on the backside of the tower. I hummed as my hand traced the stones of the tower meditating on the peace of the place when my fingers came upon a groove in the stone. Stopping I looked to see what this grove meant. There was some moss and lichens covering the stone. I scrapped the plant life away eating some of the lichen, and there I found something special to me. They were names and dates tracing back 500 years from others that came before me and rested here finding this stone. Gesh, Usha, Semi, Issil. I added my name to the list and the year. It is only fitting that I continue the traditions of my brothers and sisters.
    I smiled and felt such warm feelings inside. I'm not really sure exactly why but it delighted me and lifted my rather sour mood from the weather and trials living among the humans of the city.
    During the rest of the trip my eyes must have taken on a sharper focus because many of the people I met smiled more than usual and seemed to know of my happiness. It seems that this joyful mood can infect other people especially humans.
    When I came back Master Bartrane had a battery of lessons for me. I studied hard for many weeks. After studying, he taught me two new spells and said the third part of my lessons begins now. For the first spell he once again took me to the jousting grounds with a waggoneer and a load of chickens. He went over and over the spell with me until I had all its nuances down. He then released the chickens and I threw the spell. Some of them had taken wing and fell as soon as I cast the spell in complete confusion. It made me laugh at them all croaking and trying to fly but could not take enough air to get going. It didn't even hurt the chickens but you would think that it would by the way they clucked and squawked. They all moved so slow you would think they were puppets being pulled upon strings to move.
    The other spell he taught me was much more serious. An abjuration that he had to test me by putting me in danger. We went far away from the city to a forest clearing for this. He cast the very same spell on himself and told me to do the same a little distance from him. I did so and after he saw me cast he called forth a creature. It was small but for some reason I knew in my heart it was something not of this realm. something dark.
    It attacked me but could not cross the barrier. it pounded at the invisible shield to no effect. Master Bartrane dispelled the evil beast when satisfied that my spell barrier held and was effective.
    Later that night he almost apologized for his methods, but he said that it was the only way for him to tell if his lesson had taken hold. I smiled and simply said that it did and I am not harmed. I then questioned him on this test. He smiled and shushed me with his finger to his mouth then bid me a goodnight. I thought on his words until sleep came to me. He said that the barrier would not completely protect me and the people I protect with it from powerful evil but it would slow them down. It is an important thing to keep in mind if ever I come into that situation.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 6:03 am

Things are going well with my studies. Master Bartrane is having me focus on strengthening myself in ways I have never heard of. Well when my parents taught me magic they never mentioned these exercises. How do I explain them.....meditation?...…..willpower? I am not sure. He wants me to focus on the things that make me a unique person to myself. Envision my likes, my hates, The things that I do that strike emotion within me. The things that others do that strike emotion within me.
    He tells me that if I were an enchantress he would have constantly match his raw willpower against mine until he could not make me do as he pleases. If I were an illusionist he would constantly work fool me with his own so that my mind could pierce any misrepresentation. Since I am a transmuter he knows that one day if I have learned enough I will be able to shift my own body to look like any creature therefore he is teaching my mind to keep its inner being the same no mater what form I would take so that the transformation cannot take hold permanently.
    I must say that it is an interesting concept even if the lessons seem to have no immediate purpose I am studious of these exercises and practice them to sharpen my.....soul?.....being? I really have not the words for this thing.
    I have ever done my best not to get emotional and sometimes I confound him in that regard. There are few things that play upon my mind. One such circumstance is the woman at Haven. there are a few others but they are far away now. Master Bartane doesn't realize that my apparent dispassion of the world really isn't that at all. It is...…...something else I have no words for. I guess we elves live so long that sometimes we seem disengaged when really we are not. You just have to get to know us more, I think.
    He has sent me on a sort of vacation a month away from the school. I have improved greatly. He said to go home and be with family for awhile.
    I cannot do that of course and decided to go study these giant wolves further. I arrived at the camp where I first found the wolves. One was there. I followed it around for two weeks studying its behavior. These giant wolves live in much smaller family groups than the packs of their cousins. They run in groups of 3-5 small family units. They let me go about my business undisturbed. Some even put their muzzles up to my head to get a deep smell of my scent. It may be some form of greeting or jester. I am not sure because I do not speak wolf.
    Of course I am smart enough to not go anywhere near I would suspect a den may be. A mother wolf could easily pick me up and snap me in half in the time it would take me to scream my protest. I have also made sure that Heckle stays far away from my investigations. His mischievous nature does not bode well with such powerful creatures surrounding me. I also quickly leave when they hunt. Not only should I not be around during their bloodlust and may become a potential target if there is not enough for the family unit. I find it displeases my own stomach to watch such things. I understand that wolves are mostly carnivores and need their food. I simply cannot bear to watch such things.
    I also find that these wolves seem much more intelligent than the average canine. They seem to measure encounters with other creatures before acting. From squirrels and badgers to the great bears that roam the area they stop take measure then act accordingly to the presence of another being.
    It is an interesting study and I hope I have made some acquaintances with the groups I have watched. Now that my studies are almost over I find them almost as individualistic as any of the races of people I have encountered. I will make a full and detailed report of my findings when the time for it comes. For now I am packing my sleeping roll and tent for the journey back to the school.
    With the way my studies have progressed this mage test should be soon upon me. I still have no idea what it will encompass, and will have to wait for Master Bartrane to reveal what this test will be like.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 12:23 am

Note: I cleaned this entry up a bit before posting. Dms may want to edit it.

The long winter is over and spring once again brings new life to Ansalon. I find plentiful food and include some edible wild flowers to my diet. Master Bartrane often picks them out of the food I bring him. I wonder if humans can eat them. They should be able too, I think being that I am using mostly human books for my references for this foreign climate.
     When I am at school I help Master Bartrane with classes and encouraging his few other students. I don’t really know how much I help, but it does feel wonderful to help in other ways other than couriering and making potions. I know this tower test is near so I have decided to do something special for Master Bartrane for getting me through this and accepting me as a student even though he need not have.
    My people are strong in magic and know of many ways to use magic the towers would not know of. We do not worship the gods and have not statues or temples dedicated to them. Most of our wounds are healed through herbal magic however we do know other magic to heal with. Only one person can perform this form of magic the leader of the village, and only when she finds it absolutely necessary. Mother describes it as necromantic in nature and we hate to use the magic of the soul for anything knowing that it comes from an evil place.
     So now I open my other spell book the one that is written in a magical variant of my peoples’ language and make a scroll for Master Bartrane. In time he may be able to decipher the scroll and perhaps learn the spell we call ‘From You to Me.’  The spell heals the subject that it is cast upon and passes the injury or sickness to the caster. From there the caster incurs ailment in a lesser form. They will heal quicker than the subject would on his or her own. The spell has extremely limited use and it is necromancy so is inherently evil in nature. There are very few times when it is needed but it is useful under extreme circumstances when herbal magic just will not work.
    I have only seen mother use this once in my lifetime but being next in line I have it with other spells of my people in this spell book.
    The second thing I have found necessary to write down is an odd encounter I almost had but avoided on the road. Master Bartrane had set me to Haven again. That is the third time I have had to bring papers or reagents to the mage shop in the city.
     Along the way just south of Solace there is a bridge with river traffic that often brings supplies to the city. I have seen a small encampment there but never really took notice of it. This time I did. As I approached and got a good look at the two merchant tents there I saw the hideous creature beside one of the tents. I backed away.
    Once out of eyesight I scouted the area noticing a small cliff above the two merchant tents. Dawning my cloak of hiding I hide and slowly worked my way to the high side of the cliff. I got down on my belly and watched the creature. It was standing in front of one tent while a minotaur stood beside the other.
    The creature was beastly with gangly arms and legs thick as tree trunks. Its face looked diseased and pushed in. I knew in my heart what it was though this particular creature looked almost half human in appearance. It so disturbed me and gave me knots in my stomach
    I knew I had to stay put. Stay calm. I stayed studying every fiber of his features and face while he bantered with his horned companion. I steeled myself until the sun hit the horizon satisfied that I could face one of these demons if ever I were to engage one. I then crept slowly back making my way to the tree city satisfied that I could hold myself steady if or when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2018 2:43 am

Aiauta goes up to her room and carefully locks the door. She's been teaching Master Bartrane classes to the few other students while he's been sick. With her help he has gained ground and should be up and about very soon. She can continue her journeys as his courier and magical seamstress.
    She undresses and stands before the mirror. Mirrors are expensive and rare things in the human world yet when she first came here Bartrane made sure she was bunked in this very room with one of only two mirrors in the tower. The other being his personal mirror he uses for his own arcane research. She wonders about it. Why would he insist the only other student room with a mirror for her. Fear wells up for a moment: She pushes it away. Just kindness, she thinks to herself. The Master if anything else is the kindest human she has ever known.
    For the first time in over six months Aiauta feels safe enough to relax all the muscles in her body. She tilts the large mirror ever so slightly and looks at herself. Her lazy looking eyes behold her figure in apparent disinterest and apathy. She knows its far from the truth. It's just looks that way. Her hips are maturing. It worries her. She has only been in the human world for two years. She should have at least another twenty before it starts.
    Her mission as a seeker is on track. While delivering letters and magic supplies to other arcane professionals, and selling her wares in markets she has been able to pick up everything from gossip to relevant things going on in all the realms from Palanthos to Tarsis even as it puts a strain on her need to be alone most of the time. People tire her quickly yet she has come up with the fortitude to bear their presence without letting them know her discomfort.  She is well known to the merchant enclaves who readily take in her magical clothes which now include cloaks, hats, belts and other things. In the meantime they tell her of the happenings in their various cities.
    It's almost as if the Master knew her need to explore the world without knowing why. Again she worries. Her parents happy in their small village had told her once the humans only use others for their own devices then throw them away once their usefulness is gone. Aiauta now being around humans for a long time knows that sometimes that is true; however sometimes it is not. Or is she deceiving herself.
    Other students have moved on. They have taken the test at the tower and have moved on. She is still here. Is Bartrane just using her. She has felt that she has been ready for more than a year now. Yet when the subject comes up he defects her attention somewhere else. Why would he do that? Is he using her because she has become competent at being his assistant, courier, herbalist?
    Taking a brush she runs it through her curly hair admiring her form if only for a few moments before resting. It has been a long day and she needs the rest. She gets the kinks out then strangely she pulls all the threads out of the brush and carefully burns them in the lantern. Making sure not one is left that someone can see.
    There is so much danger in becoming a seeker. She was taught every precaution to take so that no one would question. She hates it. She would be free of this mission if not for her parents pleading. The few families that enjoy life in the valley must know what goes on in the rest of the world so that they may be able to react to any danger. That is the purpose of the seekers every fifty years or so, sent out know what goes on in the rest of Ansolon.
     Still she can see the disappointment in her eyes of not being about to go on pursue her job on her terms instead of having to be chained to the tower of arcane until Bartrane says that she is ready for the tower test. Again she questions the masters intent and how conveniently all her needs have been fulfilled from the mirror to the need to speak and observe the world fall into her lap when she met the master of the school.
    There is a knock at the door. Aiauta runs over and puts her back to it holding the door closed even while locked. She flexes her muscles in just the right way before responding, "I'm busy with my own studies who is it?"
    A weak voice comes through the door, "It's Sally, Aiauta. There's a man down in the classroom here to see you."
    Aiauta wonders at this for there was never a time when she has had a visitor at the school. She asks, "What does he look like?"
    "He looks like a mage with strange symbols on his robe. I've never seen them before but the robe is white with green."
    Could it be that Master Bartrane has called another to guide her to the tower. That would be the most wonderful thing. Aiauta gets excited and dresses in her traveling clothes then stops. She knows she must always make sure to cover herself. She tilts the mirror and looks at her face. Knowing that everything will be alright she nods, unlocks the door and opens it. Sally is standing there waiting. Aiauta smiles, "Thank you so much. Maybe Master Bartrane thinks I'm finally ready."
    The young human girl laughs, "Well if so good luck to you. I'll miss you in the classroom if you are going there."
    "I think if I go I will also return. Master Bartrane will need the help coping with you and your classmates."
    Sally waves and laughs as Aiauta goes threw the doorway and down the stairs.
    Aiauta rushes down the stairs and goes into the hall between the statue and the classroom. One look inside and she slides to the side of the doorway into the classroom hiding herself in shadow. It isn't a tower mage at all its the human she met in the village Mu’awiyah. Why in all the world would he be here. Her parents would be infuriated if they know he had found her or did they send him here for some unknown purpose.
    She has to decide whether to leave or stay and face him. Mother and Counsel may have an important message for her yet why would he be here if it were otherwise. Her heart skips a beat then settles down. She has made the decision. She straightens her hat and walks into the classroom.
    Master Bartrane is quietly talking with the man as she enters. She greets him, "Master Bartrane, You should be resting to gain your strength. I did not work so hard for a relapse."
    Bartrane smiles, "Well, good evening to you too Aiauta. I am fine. I needed to know why a mage I have never heard of before would be coming to the school to see my finest student. Mu’awiyah tells me he's...…."
    The olive skinned man cuts him off, "A friend of the family."
    Bartrane looks at the man suspiciously and then to her questioningly.
    She purses her lips and answers, "Mu'awiyah is known to the family, yes. Though I wonder why he is here?"
    Bartrane looks at the other, "I have just visited Aiauta's village. Knowing that she is here I decided to make the trip to see the cities wonders. I see you have a fine school sir. It is impressive. I hope her studies are measuring up to her parents wishes? Other than that since I and her are both here I had hoped that she could be of service as a guide so that I may see this fair city's splendors."
    Aiauta isn't happy with this ghost from her near past showing up and its apparent in her eyes yet she states, "If Mu'awiyah needs a guide I will do it with your permission, master."
    Bartrane takes an unusually long time to reply measuring both his student and this stranger, "Yes you may guide him since you apparently know him Aiauta. There is however a condition. I want you to wear one of your light gowns and stay in the city proper."
    Aiauta curtsies without comment and goes upstairs. She puts one of her gowns on and comes back down. She escorts Mu’awiyah out of the building and into the city. As they walk around Caergoth he strikes up a conversation, "How are your studies going?"
    "My studies are going well. Why are you here? Do Mother and Father have a message?"
    "No message. I came here on my own. I'm here because the first time I saw you I knew you were different from the other elves."
    "Excuse me?"
    He looks up at Solinari, "Your white moon is full can you hear it?"
    "You are avoiding my question Why are you here?"
    "Most of the elves in your village they live their lives quietly wanting only to be alone to study their magic and live a long and peaceful life. From the first time I saw your eyes I knew you had the wanderlust of a kender buried inside of you. Why did your mother send you out to seek if not for that very reason, Aiauta. Let's just say I like to keep track of interesting people especially beautiful maidens who are very talented in magic."
    "You assume too much, Mu'awiyah."
    "Now its my turn, You have not answered my question. Do you hear it?"
    Aiauta purses her lips, "Yes I hear it. I was taught to ignore it. I have responsibilities if Mother dies. I will become Transmuter and be the next leader of the village. I hope never to have to do that though."
    "Nor do I, Aiauta I have a proposition for you."
    Aiauta gets angry and frustrated not only by the rhythms of her heart but by the forwardness of the human, "If you know my people so well then you know that I am bonded with another. You would not like me when my time has come. I would kill a weak human as many a woman of my village have done so before with our own people. You would not understand the strength of my bond and a human would not have the strength to withstand me."
    Mu’awiyah's face turns beet red and he laughs, "Not that kind of proposition, My lady. I have the highest respect for the village elves and their bonds. I don't want to be anywhere near you when you have your time. its not that kind of proposition.
    Let me ask you. What will you do after the bond is broken. You will need help. I can teach you so much more than the schools of the arcane can, even the towers. You will be burdened and alone. What will you do? What I offer is guidance. I can teach you so much more than what you know now."
    "By that time I will be back in my village living like I have for the last hundred years."
    "All I ask, Aiauta is that you think about it. I needs must go back home, soon. It is a long journey. I will come back after several years to see how you are doing. I must say though I find you interesting and a promising student. Ah yes, We have circled the city and have returned to the school. It's time for me to go. Adieu my lady and as I have said think about what I have said. goodnight and well met to you."
    Ma'awiyah traces glowing gold symbols in the air around him. They start to move around his body and he disappears. leaving Aiauta wondering who the human really is."
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 5:16 am

I was involved in my monthly couriering services for Master Bartrane when just south of Solace Heckle started to fly off toward the village of Gateway. I know the area is quite dangerous filled with bandits and willow wisps so I followed as quickly as I could. As I ran up the hill past the little abandoned home I found an unusual site.
    A human in heavy plate mail was fighting a group of bandits. His horse lay on the ground looking for all purposes dead. As I approached the human fell to the knaves.
    Disregarding my own safety I quickly took a healing kit out of my pack and healed the man. Instead of fleeing and out numbered three to one the man kept on fighting. Of course I had to stay and help. I had been working on my spells so had limited magic but helped him as best I could. Heckle the little runt fled the fight.
    Between healing him and protecting myself I used up most of my magic and healing herbs but we downed the ruffians together.
    As the last one fell I started to speak to him. As we conversed but a moment I spied more of the bandits approaching. I told him we need to flee. Amazingly he did not want to follow. It seems he was preoccupied about his horse. I really did feel for his horse the poor creature lay there dead or dying but I was out of healing ability. Out of spells and we were about to be attacked by multiple assailants. I insisted that we need to flee. He finally acquiesced to my request and we fled to Solace and the inn. All the while he worried over his four legged companion.
   Is a horse similar to my companion Heckle to humans? Perhaps he has a similar connection as I do only with his steed instead of a sting lizard. I must ask Bartrane about this. Heckle and I share a very deep relationship. I can even posses him at times if needed. Could a human possess their steed. I must ask about this.
     Once we got to the inn we bought rooms and rested. I studied for some time rearranging my spell repertoire just in case the man need more help.
     When I came down the stairs he was waiting for me. We spoke for some time. I found out his name is Robert Markham and that he is a knight of the rose. He was still worried about his horse. I told him that I would help him after I restocked my healing herbs but only if he was a person of good intent.
    Robert became quite infuriated by the question. He talked about what it is to be the knight of the rose and that his honor and goodness are unquestionable. Then he calmed down. I noted his ire. It may have been justified, but I had to ask to see what reaction I would get from him. Not all humans keep their word. Some mask themselves in organizations of good intent even though they are not. They do this for power, wealth and other things. These kinds of humans are the worst. You know a bandits intent when they attack you in the forest or along the roads. You do not know the intent of a powerful magistrate, A knight with an abundance of lands, A captain of a ship cloaking himself as a privateer.
    All these things I have read about in the books of the school. Humans often have a bloody and violent history. Still I found Robert to be an interesting human and seemingly devote in his vows as a knight.
    I told him we would meet back at the inn. I am very interested in his story to add to my journal for when I report my experiences to Diviner and Counsel. Unfortunately when I came back The knight was gone. I waited a day and a night then had to continue on my own journey. I had even borrowed the alchemy laboratory at the local school to make potions for him to help him when we went to see what happened to his steed.
    It seems that I have missed an opportunity to get to know about knights and what they do first hand. Hopefully I will find another to journey with or to sit down at an inn so that I may know one and about their lives and vows to their orders. It will enrich my seeking a great deal, and perhaps I will find another friend on the outside of my small village. If I see Robert again I will do my best to help him and learn about his people.
    Until then I will continue my journey in this strange place and study for the test of magic.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 3:06 pm

During my recent travels I have met a new person of interest. A human by the name of Rali. Once while taking letters to the school In Solace and once on the road returning a few days later. She tells me she lives alone in the forest and keeps to herself. Could she be another seeker from another village? I am not sure. She is a shy person not used to others as I when starting on this quest.
On my second encounter with Rali I was walking back to crossings from Solace when I noticed the hobgoblins in the area were not alerted to my presence and giving chase. I decided to investigate the strange quiet in the area. The bounty hunter told me a woman was headed to the caverns the beasts occupy.
I went to the cave unmolested. Ducking in I found Rali covered in blood yet none the worst for wear. She apparently was exploring the caves. We exchanged pleasantries and I added some help to her quest by using a spell that would help her.
Not wanting to be a burden I then left her to her task. I also must needs back to the school to help Master Bartrane with his lessons.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 3:38 am

Again while Couriering in Solace I have come upon an interesting individual. unfortunately this time I believe it was not a very happy encounter. I was leaning over the balcony at the inn in the treetops watching the crowds below. As I watched an elf in a black robe started to walk toward the city smith. His dog suddenly veered off ran up the steps and started to harass my sting lizard, Heckle. All the while I had this odd feeling. The dog looked like a great Doberman war dog with red eyes it smelled of ash and brimstone...…….Its a hell hound from the infernal places of the abyss!
    I grabbed Heckle's jesses and pulled him too me throwing up the magical shield of protection. The hell hound backed away from the barrier and paced back and forth growling just outside of the circle. Currently its master came up the stairs. The protective ring seemed to make him sick too for he also backed away toward his creature and stood just outside contemplating Heckle and I.
    There was silence for some time while we regard one another. A thousand things went through my mind the first of which is will the tower rules of etiquette prevail? The second is I'm glad it is a public place. Heckle had already been attacked and I hoped that things would not escalate especially with so many coming in and out of the local inn. Thankfully the situation did not.
    We spoke after a time. I learned that he had studied under a tower mage a woman but he had left his studies and his mistress. The way he said it somehow did not seem right. It was not a pleasant parting from what I took from his words. I do not know if he is a renegade but I do have my suspicions. Although to be frank I have often thought about breaking away from Master Bartrane this last year. My studies have languished and I now do not much more than deliver letters and components, help teach classes, make potions, cook, and do my tailoring business. Master Bartrane has become much more involved with other students than myself.
    I do know what it feels like to be frustrated still my parents would most likely want me to complete my education and become a proper tower mage, perhaps. Due to my resent visit I suppose they know I am studying for the tower test and approve; If not the human would have delivered a letter or said that my parents do not want me to take the test. There is a danger and I well know for if my mask is pierced I may have to go home to find refuge and await the day and year he who is connect to me finds me.
   I told him that it was surprising for an elf to take up the robes of the black. He seemed quite offended by my remark and answered strangely thinking I found it offensive. I replied back that I did not find it offensive I found it intriguing. He then ran off about power and wealth and accused me of wanting the same even though I wore white. It gave me some idea about how black robes think.
    He also mentioned that there was someone behind him Nuitari. As if he had direct contact with this dark god of magic. They have some sort of plan for the way the towers work. Well, at least he stuck by the rules of the guild at least in this encounter except he didn't give me his name.
    I did try to counsel him to take the test. He said that he would take the stupid test but things at the towers were about to change. That I think sent the hairs on the back of my head up. What did this black robe want to do? or was he just being grandiose trying to be more than what he is. I don't know but if I do become a tower mage while I seek I will have to keep a close lookout for this one. I feel he is a danger and perhaps not quite sane. An insane mage with power is a danger to the whole of Ansolon.
    Near the end of our conversation he started throwing magic upon himself and his beast. I followed his jesters and words as close as I could while slipping my hand into my component bag just in case of hostile spellcasting getting my own spell prepared. It turned out to be nothing just some transmuting spells to help protect himself and his dog before he left.
    We parted peacefully but he never told me his name a breach of tower rules if I am not mistaken, but then again I don't always give mine unless asked. I did ask him he chuckled and wouldn't give me an answer. I still know his voice and mannerisms I will remember him.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 am

There is a hidden glade close to Caergoth that many apprentice mage practice: just past the eastern gate behind the adventurers camp. In the center of the glade within a thaumaturgic circle stands a young woman with an old worn tome in her hands. She bears the resemblance of a dark skinned qualinesti elf with blonde hair and short stature.
    The young woman starts to read an incantation from the pages of the old tome. It is a complex series of invocations that takes some time to recite. As she gets to the middle of her reading she notices a form just at the edge of the circle. It disrupts her concentration. The spell is broken. She sighs and looks in the forms direction. It is Master Bartrane a White Robe archmagi from the towers arcane. She quickly stores the book inside the folds of her robe and walks out of the circle.
    "Good morning, Master Bartrane. How are you feeling?"
    "I'm feeling well at least twenty years younger thanks to your herbal concoctions. Tell me Aiauta how did you come by such knowledge of plants?"
    The young woman smiles, "I don't know I guess it's a gift bestowed from those that watch over us."
    "Ah yes the gods." Bartrane walks along the circle. Aiauta follows him.
    "I've never seen a circle of protection like this, and don't recognize the symbols?"
    "Just village magic, Master Bartrane. it doesn't have the potencies of tower magic. How did you find me? I just needed practice in the old magic and wanted to be away from the school for it."
    "Well I did not send you anywhere and you were missing from the school. You could say I have a knack for finding my students. Especially when they tend to find this hidden glade surrounded by succulent plants that can be picked for dinner. After all when I was an apprentice a very long time ago; I would come here to practice.
    "Of course it is deductive reasoning."
    Bartrane chuckles, "Be that as it may Aiauta. I need to speak to you about some things. There is a tourney this week in Caergoth. I thought it might be a nice place to discuss your development. I have rented a box for us. Go to the school and put something on proper for an apprentice and we will go enjoy the festivities. And in the meantime have a discussion. Besides, I have noticed that you may have some questions of your own regarding your latest venture."
    "Master, There will be many of the populace at the tourney. I would be uncomfortable there."
    "Yes, I know Aiauta. Growing up in a small elven village has its disadvantages as well as its advantages. You need to do this. Do not worry. I will be by your side and you are becoming an accomplished mage yourself. Between the two of us I think we will be able to handles things. You will be safe."
     "I'm not afraid of anyone, I just feel confined when there are too many people around me its not natural."
    "Alright then, back to the tower then to the joust young lady. I paid a pretty good fee so lets not tarry."

The two walk back to the tower, change and meet near the statue of Adana that graces the entranceway as the sun nears its zenith they walk to the tourney grounds. A squire finds them quickly and guides them to their box above the stands. They sit down and watch several jousts before Bartrane starts the conversation, "See it isn't so bad up here away from the crowds. its like its just the two of us."
    Aiauta doesn't say anything. She just nods while looking down at the throng of people milling about the area.
    "You told me about an encounter with one of our black robed brothers? It seemed to disturb you even though you didn't say much about it. I would like to hear more about this if you please."
    "Aiauta wrinkles her brows and her lazy eyes suddenly come to life, "I saw him passing by while watching people go about their daily routines on the balcony of the inn at Solace. I really didn't think much of it until his war hound attacked heckle...….not really attack he was harassing him. I noticed it was not ordinary hound. It was from the infernal places of the night. A hell hound. I threw the shield you taught me to keep it at bay.
    It's master made his presence known and we spoke at length. The black robe appeared to be an elf like me. I did not know that an elf would take up a black robe. What he said disturbed me. Not because of what he said, because I simply don't understand evil or better how someone would willing chose to give into the unconscionable desires and emotions like greed, arrogance, lust for power and trade coin among the many other things that make them the way they are.
    What do you say about this Master Bartrane?"
    "Asking why someone takes the black or follows a path of self-destruction is like asking why the stars fill the heavens at night. There are a thousand, thousand reasons. None which I can fully explain. It just is Aiauta, and know that though you may face them in your ventures always remember that they are brothers and sisters in magic as a whole. They deserve some measure of respect.
    This brings up an interesting question I have of you. How do you truly think people should live and be guided in life?"
    Aiauta takes a very long time to answer. Her eyes shift several times as if thinking intently about Bartrane's question. A full joust takes place while she is thinking about it. When she answers it surprises him, "I think that people should be able to live whatever life they chose as long as they do no harm to another whether that be another person or animal. There are times when you have to end a life but only if that being is dedicated to ending yours."
    "A thoughtful and surprising answer my apprentice. I would not think that you would say such things by the way you always adhere to my wishes and are thoughtful of my needs."
    "Do you think what I said is wrong, Master Bartrane? I think it would be obvious."
    "Remember what I said when we found out you were a transmuter and different from most mages. There is no right or wrong answer here. It's just a different hair color you wear upon your soul. I am somewhat pleased by this but you and I are slightly different on how we see the world and society. I wish to explore this more, Therefore I give you a scenario.
    You see a child in danger. A black robe has him in the center of a pentomic circle. You see in the black robes eyes that he means the kill the child to gain more power from the dark forces that guide him. You read the circles inscriptions and know that if the young one dies it will be confined to the abyss for an eternity of torcher. What would you do?"
    "I would try to save the child."
    "You cannot save the child unless you use dark magic to kill the other mage."
    "I would kill the mage."
    "Why?"
    "The child is a blank slate. The black robe has already made his decision and his desire for power by condemning an innocent is unconscionable in my eyes."
    "Even though it would put a stain on your own soul by using dark magic?"
    "Yes."
    "And what of magic itself, Aiauta what do you think of the use of magic itself."
    "It's strange that you would ask that, master Bartrane. Since I have come here I have often thought about this subject. I grew up in a place were all practiced forms of magic. We don't see it as a means to power or a way to promote our self-interests. It's simply a tool we use much like a hammer or garden hoe.
    It wasn't until I came here and spoke to others and their preoccupation with the power involved in casting that I realized that humans take a very different view of magic than we do. I am guessing that not everyone can use magic and therefore mages become more prominent with the more magic that they can master."
    "Tis a good supposition Aiauta. It is not the whole of it but power and prominence play a good part of why humans take the robes. Those that have the ability to cast in the first place."
    Aiauta suddenly studies the crowd intently looking from individual to individual. While doing so she pulls her hood up closely covering her eyes. Intrigued Bartrane asks, "Is there anything wrong, Aiauta?"
    "You said we were safe here, Master. It's just I thought I smelled something familiar."
    "And that would be?"
    "Flowers. I thought I smelled flowers."
    Bartrane laughs, "It's probably your breath, Aiauta after all everyone knows that you smell like flowers that's practically all you eat."
    The two of them laugh. She takes down her hood, "You're probably right. But I eat mushrooms, moss and lots of other things too."
    Bartrane rolls his eyes, "I know young lady you've tried to feed me both the silliest things and some things that are surprisingly good.
    How is your family by the way?"
    "I'm sure they are happy in their little valley. No one comes but every decade or two. They are safe and happy as always."
    "You love them don't you?"
    Aiauta grins, "Of course I love them. They raised me with love and sometimes with a hard hand when needed but always a reason."
    "What about that young human mage that visited you. I noticed the way you look at one another, well at least he for you. What was his name?"
    "Mu'awiyah? I've only met him twice. Once for only moments before I made my journey out into the world, and here when he came to speak to me."
    "So you have no feelings for the man?"
    "He is interesting, exotic, and refreshing but I am bound to another."
    "And this other person?"
    "I don't know him. Let us say that it was arranged long ago."
    "Well look at the hour. The jousting is nearly over. Let's depart for the tower, Aiauta. Its getting late.
    "Thank you, Master. Would you like me to make you something when we get back?"
    "No, I wish to have something hardier than what you make, However I do have some potatoes in the kitchen. Your welcome to use some for your own dinner Aiauta."
    "Thank you I think I will."
    The two exit the box and down the ladder. They walk to their abode slowly speaking of the news of the day and the winners of the days tourneys. The sun sets as they make the threshold and disappear into the schools doors.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Aiauta sits in front of a lectern writing in her journal. Looking up she sees no one around. Most are asleep. She should be too but she has to keep up appearances. Elves after all do not sleep but go into a resting meditative state for a few hours a night.
   She writes about all that has happened to her over the last few months. It really isn't much except for two new people she has met; both in Caergoth.
    The first is another of the black order. This one older and wiser. What he is doing here in Caergoth she doesn't know. He took her to the inn and they sat by the fireside and talked while watching three dock workers play darts. She didn't learn much of the black robes intent but his demeanor was a complete reversal from what the first one was. He gave her his name but it has slipped her mind since the encounter.
    The odd thing was that the two of pleasantly fenced about one another's intentions. He saw something suspicious  in her. It gave her pause. She knew that no one could physically penetrate even with magic her nature unless she revealed herself. Still he was suspicious and counseled her not to take the test. She thinks hard on the encounter with him. The one thing he said that tipped him off that she was different from others is this.

The black robe seemed to have a problem with the local guard one attacked him in the inn. He used a spell to turn the man instantly into a henchman. She didn't even blink. That was his tip. He told her that because she didn't even raise an eyebrow at the spell that she grew up around high magic. She did her best to work around his questions and felt that it should be sufficient an plausible story.

She looks up from the book and walks over to a set of candles on one of the desks. The humans and elves have long forgotten the old magic. She does not know much of it. Only the things that are useful for gardening and making life comfortable while going about the daily business of ones existence. She waves her hand over the candle stand and without components or incantation the candles light themselves. Again she waves her hand over them and the candles blow themselves out.
She was raise in the old magic. Everyone she knows from home uses it to help them in their daily lives. She gets slightly homesick while walking back to the book. Clearing her mind she starts to write once again.

Last week I met another qualinesti. He was looking for a place to study for his own tower test. He looked as ragged as I when first coming here to learn from Master Bartrane. I let him rest in my room for a few hours and questioned him on his intent on coming to the school and learning magic.
I sensed a curiosity within the elf and someone of good intentions. Introducing him to the master afterward. Master Bartrane did some basic tests to confirm his abilities. I could see in his eyes that he was going to deny the student because he did not come from a noble family and had no patron.
I asked to speak with him alone. When I and Master Bartrane were out of earshot from the elf I asked if I could pay for the elf's education. Master Bartrane looked somewhat surprised. We discussed it at length and I gave him enough trade coin to pay for the young elf's books and tools.
The elf's name is Ealthan a kind and slightly awkward elf. Perhaps that is why I chose to do this. Trade coin has little meaning for me. My people don't use it, and if I can sponsor a soul of good intent with that to which I collected I feel it is a wonderful fulfillment of what I have managed to make in these humans land. The coin will go to a good purpose. Perhaps I am wrong however I felt that I have accomplished something good for another.

That is all I have to write about the last few months.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 am

At night when everyone else sleeps; Aiauta opens her journal and writes the words that may change the rest of her life among the humans, elves and other races that inhabit Ansalon.
Once again I met the older black robe doing business in the city of Solanthus. He invited me to the inn near the cities entrance. As I drank my water and he his spirits; his questions became more pointed about my background. He is obviously suspicious of my past. In fact: I believe he may have pierced my veil even with my carefully conceived persona. at the end of discussions he asked me to come with him.
He took me to a place where a great tree has fallen. Its mass was hollowed out by goblins. We fought them outside. I used several spells both to protect myself and to discourage the goblins without killing them. The black robe would finish them off sending their souls to wherever they go.
Afterward his suspicions only grew by my command of magic and the potency of my spells. Though at the time I was pre-occupied by the immediate threats against the two of us.
He then insisted on going inside the tree. I was near the end of my spell limits but continued on. the black robe is a tower mage and I am after all only an apprentice. It would not be right to leave him when to face the goblins alone even though he brought it upon himself in whatever he is doing.
We went into the great fallen tree to find many goblins. We fought and both of us fell to the creatures. I woke up to find him barely breathing and unfortunately I myself was in a sorry state. I ran to the east where I knew there was help. I was lucky to survive. the knights of Solanthus took care of the goblins. Afterward I used potions and healing kits (stitching my wounds). I now had a choice to make. Do I leave the black robe to a just death or do I try to recover the body and try to restore life to him.
In the end I decided to recover him for he seems to have done no harm to me or the populace. He may be greedy for the power of magic but in other things he on the surface seems to do good even though he is evil in nature.

Aiauta pauses taking a deep breath. and continues writing.

I have decide in this case the end justifies the means: in other words as much as this particular mage is greedy for the power of understanding and knowledge he ultimately is a good force for good in Ansalon.
I go back and try to recover his body only to find that somehow he has awoken from his wounds. I heal him as best I can and we fight with the goblins again. This time we finally broke off and escaped the brutality of the creatures.

The black robe made his adieus and left me near Solanthus.

Humans and elves seem ever suspicious of anyone not conforming perfectly to their precepts. In light of these new facts and the fact that the carefully conceived veil is breaking down for both this black robe and Master Bartrane himself: I have decide that if in one year I have not receive the test that I will make my break off from tower sponsorship and become a renegade wizardress.
It is not what I want, but if the humans or elves pierce the veil of my true nature it is what I will have to do. The mission itself cannot fail for the village of my birth needs the information of my experiences among the other races and the times along the vast continent.
I will try to hold together one more year. If things do not change I will write a letter to Bartrane and leave the scroll that I have made for him. I will make a new persona and a new life among the humans until my period of seeking is done.
It is a shame. I had hope to be the first wizardress in many generations to past the tower test of my kind; but there are goals and there are greater goals. The greater goal is to complete what I was sent out to find. Enough of dour misgivings about the future. For now I will continue to help my mentor and hope that the test is near. I will learn as much as I can from Master Bartrane and if in a year he does not lead me to the tower I know what to do.

Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 3:52 am

Tower bells, Racing horses, carts and soldiers awaken Aiauta from her slumbers. She quickly puts her robes on and rushes downstairs to find Master Bartrane and the few other students by the fireplace. All of them speak quietly while the chaos outside crescendos.
    "Master Bartrane what's going on?"
    "We're waiting for the commotion outside to die done, Aiauta. After which, we will be able to investigate and help the populace. The tower walls are strong. They are warded and they will protect us until whatever struggle is outside subsides."
    "If there is chaos in the streets we must help as soon as we can. We need to be out there showing our presence and helping with whatever is going on."
    "Aiauta, My first responsibility is to keep my pupils safe, including you young lady. We cannot run headlong into a danger that we know nothing about."
    Aiauta seethes, "I can't believe what I am hearing! Here by this fireplace is the ability to help better than most. Our very nature calls out to help and help now! Let us go and do what we can."
    Master Bartrane shakes his head, "Monty and Nicolas are sons of noblemen that pay good coin for me to keep their sons safe until they have proper training for their test. Sally is very young. William and Ezra are sponsored by patrons of the robes if any of them get hurt it will be disastrous for the school and I may have to close the doors if anything happens to them. It's just too risky."
    "Is this what its about then. Trade Coin! Reprimands from your superiors in either wealth, position or status? I am ashamed to see this. If we will not go together then I will ask for volunteers to help now instead of sitting here like scared children. There are lives on the line. We must go.
    Therefore I will ask for volunteers to come with me. Who will help?"
    Sally is the first to step forward. She takes Aiauta's hand, "I'll come. I don't have many spells but I'll do my best to help out."
    Aiauta looks to Monty. He will be the one to replace her when she passes her test as Master Bartrane's assistant.
    He shy's away, "My father wouldn't want me taking such a risk. You should listen to Master Bartrane. If anyone gets hurt its on your head Aiauta."
    She swallows watching him and turns her head to Nicolas. He rubs his chin and looks at her in a serious manner, "My father is knight protector of a large province in Somalia. He would look at me in pride when he finds out I did my best so I pledge to you that I will go, but here me Aiauta. If any of us does get hurt. Word will get out and there will be repercussions."
    Aiauta nods her agreement and looks to Ezra, "I won't be foolish enough to risk my life for peasants and vagrants. They have no power, money, or ambition other than what they can scrape together to survive. The best of us are all behind stone walls. Then we'll come out say our platitudes to look like we're doing something and comforting the damned and the wounded. But really what we're doing is saving face. The city needs a cleansing and as far as I feel it is proper. Let us get rid of some of the riff-raff so that better people can take over. I'm staying. Matter of fact I may go to the observation deck at the top of the tower to enjoy the view."
    Aiauta gives her a dark stare and turns to the last student, William.
    "I'm with you Aiauta. Tell you the truth I'm scared of what I may find out there but its a real chance to see how I can use my spells to help out. No more laboratory conditions inside or out. This will be my first true test. Can't let that opportunity pass now can I."
    Aiauta looks to Bartrane with a defiant expression.
    "I'll keep these two safe here until the commotion has died down. Go but be very careful young lady. You tread on slippery ground."

The four students walk out of the tower. The smell of burnt meat and smoke fills the air. There are fires spread across the city. Several horses and people lay upon the street. Some of the horses look to be ripped open and parts eaten out of. Smoke fills the sky hiding both moon and stars. People run through the streets some obviously looters. Others wandering aimlessly. It looks like a scene straight out of the abyss.
    The three look to Aiauta. She turns her attentions to Sally and starts casting, "Strength, Fleet, Heartiness."
    After using her transmutation spells on Sally she clasps her head with her hands, "Sally your job is to gather the herbalist, clerics, and potion makers. Direct them to the rest of us so that they can work with our group to help. Tell your raven to go to the mage shop. Have him get Gedron out of his dungeon to join us."
    Sally nods and takes off.
    "Nicholas."
    "Yes, Ma'am"
    "Your a nobleman. Go to the west where the calvalry and fairgrounds are. Offer your assistance there. If I remember correctly your strength is conjuration. A few water elementals would be a great help if you can control them."
    "On it, my glorious leader." He leaves giving her a wink.
    Willian looks around at the destruction.
    "You sure you're ok? There's no disgrace in backing out."
    "I'm good. It's just an overwhelming task."
    Aiauta looks to the docks, "Docks are the worst. I'll go there. You take the city center. Sally should have some people fairly quick coming to help you."
    "Sure you want to take the docks, Aiauta? Looks pretty bad."
    "I'm the one who stepped out. I'm the most experienced. Yes, this one is on me."
    William puts out his hand, "Come back to us safe."
    She clasps his arm, "You to and be careful don't take unnecessary risks."
    He gives her a grunting smile, "Unlike you, Aiauta. We know you too well."
    "Well if I give my life in service of helping the people of the city at least the repercussions can't trump the results."
    William laughs lets go of her arm and wanders off toward the temple.

Aiauta heads to the docks to find the area a complete disaster. People wander in disarray. The cargo/transport that heads to Good Bay is sunk and on fire. Willie's is on fire. and many of the houses surrounding the area are also on fire. Smoke fills the area.
    There is as least some good news. The dock workers are already handling the ship with a bucket bigrade. Some even have a pump bringing up sea water to hose the Mary Sue down. She looks around until she sees a familiar dock face, "You! Yes You! Come here?"
    The short stubby man with a long beard walks up to her in a daze, "What is er now, Lassie?"
     "Have you seen the potion vender that takes up shop here, "Na tonight, She be home tend'in to her children."
    "Which house?" He points to an unburned one. She nods to him and continues, "Alright then line the wounded up between Willies and the docks. I'll come with her and start helping the wounded. Get some of your fellows to help. It will be something to do."
    The man seems to get his wits about him and holds out his palm. She looks at him disgusted and replies, "The more people the docks lose tonight the less you have to feed off of."
    The man has to think this over a few seconds. He gets a serious look about him and nods to her, "I'll be getting the wounded like you be asking. You got you point across. I'll be wait'in for you to come."
    Aiauta nods to him and runs to the house. She stops and whistles an odd tune. It doesn't take long for heckle to arrive he is bathed in sot and hot to the touch.
    "Heckle, go and retrieve my herbal bag from the room." The sting lizard flies off to the north.
     Aiauta knocks and then pounds on the door with no answer. She looks around for what to do then pulls out her spell book. She doesn't have the right one memorized. producing some spell components from her robes she speaks an incarnation directly from the book. As her phrases and hand movements end the locks on the door all produce a clicking sound. She opens the door and rushes in.
    The herbalist is holding three children in her arms the oldest cant be more than twelve. At first she looks at the intruder in a frightful demeanor. Then she recognizes her, "Aiauta! What are you doing here?"
    "Grab all the potions and herbs you can carry and come with me."
    "I cannot go out there. It's a madhouse it is! Who would take care of me boys?"
    What's the oldest boy's name?"
    "Oh that be Johnny Walker! I'm proud of him I am. He start working the docks couple months ago."
    "Jonny here." She holds out her walking stick. "Think you can protect your brothers until your momma comes back?"
    "Aye I can. That be a fine quarterstaff you majesty."
    She looks back at the herbalist, "If he's old enough to work the docks he's old enough to defend his home."
    "Aiauta, You be the first person trust'in Johnny with somethin like this. Cause of that I'll be going with you."
    "Good there's a lot of wounded."
    "But Who be payin for all this work I be doing."
    "I will."
    "I know you be good for it. You always been a dear with the tradin and helped a lot of womenfolk with them gowns. I know you be good for it."
    They rush out of the house carrying as many potions and herbal remedies as they can gather together at the house. Making their way to the docks a couple of young ruffians pounce upon them. Aiauta puts her thumbs together and says a few archaic words. Flames shoot from her fingertips in an arc covering the two youth in flames. Their clothes catch fire and they run away.
    As they round the corner they see five men carrying burned and broken men and women far enough away from Willies so as not to get hurt. The herbalist and Aiauta get to work. Aiauta uses aloe gels and other holistic remedies to take care of the ones that aren't that badly burned or bruised. The alchemist uses her potions on the worst of them.
    As they work Aiauta catches a man fingering the battered and wounded. He's picking their clothes for everything he can find. She stands and confronts him.
    "What are you doing?"
    "They will na be needing these where they're going, beauty." He yells to her smiling.
    She says a few words while motioning with her hand in a circle. The man's face looses all its color. He goes screaming into the night.
     The herbalist looks over, "What you do to em, Aiauta?"
     "Just scared the hell out of him with a vision is all. He will not be back."
     The herbalist smiles, "You know lass, You ain't so bad for a mage."
     Aiauta smiles and goes back to her work.
     They work for hours the fire at Willies and the ship from Good Bay are put out. There are still a dozen buildings burning in the district. The salves and potions are almost all gone. When a man rushes up to them.
    "Help! Can anyone help!"
    Aiauta stands, "What's the problem."
    "My friends kids are trapped in a burning building and no one it seems can get them out!"
    "I'm Aiauta I may be able too."
    "Lassie, There's a burning beam in front of the door. It take a much stronger man than a little lady elf to free it up. I need a few good men!"
     "I think I can handle it. Us elves have more to offer than just brawn. I'll come with you."
     The dock worker looks hesitant and untrusting but he nods, "Guess any help will do then come on with me."

Aiauta arrives with the man at the burning house. It's a blaze. There are screams coming out from behind the doorway. Three men are struggling with crowbars trying to move a burning crossbeam in front of the threshold. She recognizes one of them a bounty hunter she crossed paths with a few years ago.
    She quickly analyzes the problem and the problem of getting the children out. She then yells out to them, "All of you stand back. You'll be burnt by the flames."
     The bounty hunter recognizes her and immediately stands well away from the door. Of the other two upon seeing him move away one of them the short one follows him but the tall lanky one still struggles frantically with the beam. Aiauta goes up to him and whispers some words into his ear. He falls to the ground. She then backs up, "Move him away from the door."
     While they are doing that she makes intricate hand movements and several incantations. An elemental shield wraps round her body, and another magic shield to prevent debris from falling upon her goes up. She looks to the others, "I am now protected from the fire. I will weaken the beam near the door once that is done break it up. I'll go in and get them."
    The three still standing give her the thumbs up. Aiauta puts her fist into the palm of the other hand and concentrates. She starts her incantation in a whisper and as it progresses her voice raises to a screaming crescendo.
    She throws her hands out. A high pitched wave of sound burst from them hitting the beam square in its middle. It cracks the men rush it including the father who has awakened. They make quick work of it now pulling the two pieces out of the threshold. Aiauta rushes in.
    The screams she had heard when she arrived have died off to whimpers. She searches the house frantically watching the strength of her elemental shield. She chokes on the smoke but moves on. There at the other end of the house in a small bedroom Two children lie on the floor they are severely burnt but still whimpering.
    At least they are alive but how can she get them out. She is now out of spells, potions and this is no place to either move them in their condition or try to put salves on them. She quickly opens her spell case and digs a spell out of it. She then cries as she knows she can only save one. Her own body cannot take the damage of both...……or can it.
    They say that the change itself can have certain healing effects. She looks around for any other way. and finds none. She makes her decision She thinks to herself, "Two young lives for one grown adult. I can die for that. Her bones and muscles stretch. The pain comes. Once finished she goes up to the children and rolls the small scroll out.
    She reads the incantation the spell components disappear. She puts her mouth almost upon the mouth of the smallest one. Black vapors erupt from it. She breaths all of them in. As quickly as she can she places her mouth over the second. The process is repeated as burns start to cover her body. She screams at the healed children, "Run! Run! as fast as you can."
    They start to run. In excruciating pain Aiauta concentrates. Her bones shorten muscles become denser. She half walks, half crawls out of the burning building. The group of four men gently carry the stricken mage back to Willies and the herbalist.
    As they walk back one of the children asks, "Who is that?"
    Sneed looks over to him, "That's the woman that save you Donny and your brother"
    "No it isn't"
    "What do you mean?"
    "The one who saved us was a silver haired angel with glowing eyes and the bluest of skin"
    Sneed laughed, "Fire was playing tricks on your eyes, Donny. She's the only one that went into the building."
    "If you say so, Uncle Sneed. Still...…..I don't know. She looks nothing like what I saw."
    "It's ok we all see visions when in that kind of trouble. no worries. Just be thankful a mage be willing to help out."

Last edited by winterhawk99 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 3:18 am

Aiauta opens her eyes to find she is laying on a bed in a small room. There are a vast array of potted plants surrounding her. She immediately looks at her arms. They are brown and free of injury. She breaths a heavy sigh of relief. That is when she hears a voice.
    "Finally up and about are we now. It be three days It has."
    She looks over to find the herbalist in a chair leaning over and meeting her eyes.
    "What happened? Where am I?"
    "What's the last thing you remembers, Aiauta?"
    She thinks back before she replies, "I...…… There were two children. They were burnt and I had to move them but couldn't I knew a spell. A very dangerous spell. but It would only heal one unless...…… unless I did something...…..She closes her eyes. That's all I remember."
    Well You's a hero now. Even the mayor sent you flowers. organizing the docks. Helping me heal all those people. And the two children. You got friends you don't even know now. And I say good on you."
    "I don't think I understand?"
    "Well I guess I be the one filling you in seeing that I be volunteer'in to help watch you. You see after you come out of that burning house. The locals you helped sent you straight to me. I had me some of me strongest healing potions stashed away in me robes. You know just in case. They got to me quick enough that I was able to heal yous up real good but you wouldn't wake up. We be trying everything. So me and the fellows you helped stayed with you till morning we did.
    Morning come and you teacher goes and shows up along with a lot of important types never go along the docks unless of course they be need'in to go somewheres. That teacher of yours examines you and they tells they be taking you here to the temple of the big dragon. We don't like them high and mighty types so we say only if one of us can be watching you till you up and about. Funny thing is they agree. Some of them laughs at us but they agree. So every 1/4 day or so someone be watching you till you wake."
    "Do you know what actually happened?"
    "Aye I do. T'was a demon t'was. A single demon entered the city and ravaged it. Even threw a bunch of spells just like a mage he did. It be having goat feet, great black wings and glowing red eyes. Folks all over swear to it. There be many a story come out of this. Even some stories bout you. they be fanciful they be. but that be neither here or there."
    Aiauta suddenly sits up, "You said he had cloven feet? Just like a goats?"
    "Aye, Aiauta That's what folk who saw em say. You be looking like you just seen a ghost."
    "I may have. why was I asleep for so long when you said you healed me?"
    "You teacher found the answer he did. Seems you overspent yerself with magic. He be noticing several blank places in yer books he did. He said you used all ye spells and when you needed more you read them straight out of your books. He said that that much magic at your abilities spent you twice as much as would normally do. He be saying you could be out for even a couple weeks."
    Aiauta suddenly looks pained, "I must go. There are things that...….."
    "You be staying right were you be. You earned it ye did. And there be lots of folk, Our kind of folk and them kind of folk want to meet with you. You be needing your rest and If I have to funnel a sleep potion it ye I will by the gods."
    "I...… I am tired, and hungry."
    "I'll have a good meal sent up for you I will."
    "No need, I have all I need here." Aiauta takes up a bouquet of tulips and starts eating the pedals. The herbalist thinks its about the strangest thing she's seen a mage do. Afterward Aiauta drifts off to sleep. The herbalist keeps watch until a large burly man walks in, A man she knows is very high up in the local thieves guild. As she walks out she notices that he takes her hand and puts his forehead to it as if in prayer.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 6:52 am

Aiauta slips into the mage tower of Caergoth. The first thing she does is open the door to the classroom a crack to see what is going on. Master Bartrane is conducting a class on magic rings and their lore.
    She quietly closes the door heading up the stairs to her room. Once there again she is confronted by pots and jars of flowers. Aiauta has mixed feelings about them. On the one hand she loves and appreciates the sentiment. On the other she knows that her notoriety will cast two many questions her way. She has to leave.
    She opens the door locking it behind her so no one can see what she is up to. She packs her things slowly. Carefully leaving nothing of herself behind such as strands of hair or nail clippings, yet leaving everything behind that matches the persona she has created while staying here. For Aiauta the qualinesti is soon to die replaced by someone completely new. Who? She hasn't decided as of yet. All the linens, clothes, silks and magical thread she must leave behind along with anything she has collected over the last five years. She leaves all of it where it lay and when she is done packing she goes up to Bartrane's quarters.
    He is not there. Going to one of the chairs in the far corner of the room she sits and waits.
    Bartrane comes in with a stack of books. Moving behind his desk, he begins the process of setting each one in it's proper place.
    Aiauta stands up and speaks, "Greetings, Master Bartrane."
    Startled the old man drops the rest of his books and turns around. A big smile washes across his face as he walks up hugging her, "I almost thought you would never come back, my dear. You have extemporized yourself that night. I have so many questions about it."
    She accepts the hug and listens to his prattling. When he is done she pushes his shoulders so that he is at arms length, "That is all well and good, Master Bartrane, But first I need my spell books."
    "Yes, of course, of course, Aiauta. There are...… I also have questions on this village magic. You see I've never seen anything like it. I know its in some form of code. Still! I've seen my share of spells and even in code these look complex, very complex. Not what you would think of village magic?"
    He sets her books upon the table, "I replaced what I could from what you used the night of the fires. It's the least I could do. I also.... put some new ones for you in the blank slots I could not fathom."
    Aiauta places her hands upon the books and slides them to her. She inspects each and every one both counting the spells and noting every one as its reference on the first page. When the last one is read and she closes the cover; without looking up she says, "Thank you."
    Bartrane rubs his hands together, "I don't want to push you before you're ready to start again, but when do you think would be a good time to carry on with your studies?"
    She looks to him with sad eyes. The expressive smile falls off of his face and something new appears. It is concern.
    "Questions. There are too many questions now. Notoriety breeds them, Master Bartrane. I had at one time hoped to be the first in my village to wear the robes. The first non-renegade of my people. Now I must move on. You see there will just be too many questions."
    "But....." "Shush. Don't make it any harder for me. It's hard enough as it is.
    I made you something to thank you with after I passed the test. The spell is called 'From You to Me'. Perhaps one day you will be able to read it. The rest is for you to ponder until you understand it. I'll be going now. Know that I will always hold your teachings close to my heart."
    The professor takes the scroll rolling it out on the table. Seeing he cannot read it he rolls it back up, turns around and places it on a shelf. He returns with a small pouch he has fingered from on top of it, "A gift for a gift then Aiauta. It's a much smaller gift than what you have given. I hope it helps you on your journey."
    She opens it finding a small amulet. Within its center, surrounded by two silver rings lies a small ruby: Magically inserted within a prism of quartz. The amulet is small, but when she puts it on the light from the room refracts off of the prism sending it into the ruby giving it a soft glow. Making it seem somehow bigger.
    "It's a common enough graft that jewelers use to entice buyers to pay more than it is worth. The gift is to remind you not to trust everyone. Even if they have a kind smile."
    Aiauta accepts the gift, "Thank you. I will keep it close to my heart."
    She turns to walk out of the office when Bartrane speaks up once again, "Aiauta two things?....Please?"
    She swings her head to the side while keeping her back to him, for the tears can be controlled no longer.
    "What are they?"
    "Will I see you again?"
    "No."
    "Remember to say your good-byes to your friends. Perhaps their stories may persuade you differently."
    "I will."
    "Good-bye then Aiauta. My doors are always open for you. If you ever chose to rejoin us."
    Aiauta walks out without saying another word.
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 8:00 am

Aiauta meets Nicholas, Sally, and William near the entrance by the statue of the schools founder. They all try to hug her at once, which makes an awkward scene. She picks Sally up in her arms.
    Sally hugs the elf round her neck. William steps back as Nicholas hugs her from the other side.
    He exclaims, "So glad to have you back! I can't follow the old man's teachings as well as yours, Aiauta. And Hey! Look at this! The regiment presented me with a metal for getting everyone together in the west district. Thanks for the advise. It worked out really well."
    Aiauta smiles at him, "You're welcome, Nicholas."
    Sally taps on her shoulder, "Nicholas is so rude! I'm the smallest. And I'm a girl. I should have gone first!"
    Aiauta turns her head to the child, laughing, "Ok. Tell us your story."
    Sally puts her hands up to her head and scrunching her face remembering the night, "You told me to find as many priest and healers as I could. And send them to the others. So...… I ran to the temple first. I told the nice lady there about how the mage apprentices were trying to help but needed temple people to work with them. I guess she got the idea cause she asked where the other apprentices were."
    She then throws her hands straight up, "That's when I remembered that I was so excited that I left before knowing where everyone was going! So...… The kind lady. She asked if I could find all of you? That's when I remembered that I still have a whole bunch of finder cantrips in my head. Well mostly cause I forget where everything is and have to find them again.
    So...… I casts the spells. I found Nicholas and William easy, but I couldn't find you Aiauta?" She starts to pout, "Its like there was a cloud interrupting my vision. I just couldn't find you."
    Aiauta smiles at her, "It worked out for the best. Go on."
    "Well I followed the nice lady around awhile. She gave orders to other people. She must be to them what master Bartrane is to us. We all went outside. Some went to every district. I stayed by the nice lady. We tracked down William and helped him as much as we could. He said you went to the docks.
    The docks looked really bad, Aiauta. The nice lady told us to stay here and help. Then she ran south into the smoke and flames.
    When everything was done she came back. She told me I was very brave and gave me this ring. It helps me remember where everything is."
    Aiauta grins, "It's a very nice ring, Sally."
    Their eyes turn to William as Sally ends her story.
    William gives her a half-smile, "I see you're dressed for traveling. I wouldn't think that Bartrane would send you couriering so soon?"
    Aiauta returns the smile, "He's not."
    The look tells William all he needs to know, "You're leaving us aren't you?"
    She sadly affirms, "I have too."
    Aiauta suddenly feels two small fists pound into her shoulder, "YOU CAN'T LEAVE! YOU CAN'T LEAVE! DON'T YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WE LOOK UP TO YOU! DON'T YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WE LOVE YOU!"
    Sally grabs Aiauta's neck and hugs it as hard as she can, "I won't let you leave! I'll hold on as tight as I can so you can't" She starts to bawl on Aiauta's neck.
    Aiauta swings her round to the front of her, cradling her like a babe, "It's ok, Sally. Everyone has to leave at one time or another. It's just my time."
    She stops her crying for a moment, "I don't care. You didn't do anything wrong. Master Bartrane even said so! He loves you too. Stay with us. You can even have my ring. I don't want the nasty old ring now. I want you to stay!"
    Aiauta hands the crying, sniffling girl off to Nicholas, "I'm sorry, Sally. Perhaps in time, when you're all grown up, You'll understand better. Here. Take this to remember me by."
    She pulls her old necklace from one of her pockets handing it to Sally, "It will protect you and even better: If you happen upon a mean old draconian he will think you a friend and let you alone."
    Sally looks at the amulet in her hand. She stops crying for a moment. She then throws it on the ground, "I don't want your old used up amulet! I want you Aiauta! You're a nobleman Nicholas. You can make her stay. You can order her to stay!"
    She begins to bawl again. This time on Nicholas's shoulder. His eyes find Aiauta's. She gives him a nod; her own eyes picking up a glassy texture.
    Nicholas picks up the necklace and carries Sally up the stairs to the living quarters while telling her, "I think William want's to say his good-byes alone and you need some sleep young lady...." His voice fades away. Now only William and Aiauta stand together looking awkwardly at one another.
    "Hump. well the city put out for a mage belt like yours Aiauta. They said it was for extemporary service in helping with the fires. It helps me remember more spells."
    "Good on you, William. You earned it."
    "I didn't do much really. Cast a few spells. Brought people together. That's all."
    "Sometimes its better to help others find courage than to be courageous yourself."
    "Yea, I can't believe it. A simple finder's cantrip. A simple spell to help mages find their house keys and lost components called your bluff."
    She looks at him curiously, "What do you mean?"
    "I mean there is no Aiauta. Not really. Finder cantrips are weak. They only show you where something or someone is. Nothing more. If you can't find them; it means that something isn't real about them.
    I don't know who you really are Aiauta or what you're running from. I just want you to know that I know something isn't true about you, and it doesn't matter one bit.
    We love you and are saddened by the loss of you."
    "You'll make a fine mage one day, William. I hope you keep up with your studies and survive your test."
    "Thank you."
    "The ship won't wait for me. I have to be going." Aiauta turns to leave.
    "Aren't you forgetting something, Aiauta?"
    She turns around, "What is it then?"
    "Something to remember you by. I don't want some trinket or bauble that can be lost. I want something that is forever. Something that burns in my mind."
    She raises an eyebrow in curiosity.
    "I've never kissed a woman. Not a real kiss." Before she can react he walks up, throws his hands around her waist, and gives her a passionate kiss. So stunned by his move she can do nothing but accept it for a moment then she pushes him away, "Good-bye, William. Safe travels to you."
    She turns around and walks out the door. His eyes linger upon the open portal, "Good-bye, Aiauta. You'll never know how much you've changed our lives. May the gods smile upon you and safe travels."
Back to top Go down
winterhawk99

winterhawk99

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Aiauta boards a ship to Crossings as the sun sets behind her. A single tear falls from her face as she stands at the aft looking to the city. After a week she lands at the small town. Many that know her ask how the progress of recovery is going in the city of Caergoth. She tells them of the most recent events and moves on.
Taking the caravan she moves on to Solace and The inn of three friends. From there she moves south toward the abandoned citadel. Before she comes upon the mountains that separate her from the old fort she goes to the side of the road to a familiar camp. There she rests.
In the morning she is greeted by a giant of a wolf. She puts her hand up to it. It sniffs her and bows its head for her to scratch it behind the ears. The two disappear into the woods.

Several weeks later a smallish Kagonesti elf appears near the camp she is small in stature 4'10" with a tan olive skin flame red hair and deep green eyes. The giant of a wolf greets her. As she lets him sniff his hand he becomes confused. She scratches his throat as his eyes roll over in pleasure. The wolf licks her ear and departs back into the forest.
The woman travels to Solace. Taking a room at the local inn. While waiting tables and looking after the other servers Tika wanders to her table, "Is everything alright, ma'am. May I get you something?"
"A salad would be wonderful."
"Don't get many Kagonesti our way. Is there a name I may call you, lass."
"my name is Rosemallow."
"I love when the Rosemallow blooms in the late spring. It's a good name."
"Thank you, do you have any fruit juices?"
"We have better than that Rose. We have a maple sap juice I just know you will love.
"Thank you."
"Tika retreats from the table with the news that a Kagonesti has come to Solace."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

journal of Aiauta  Empty
PostSubject: Re: journal of Aiauta    journal of Aiauta  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

journal of Aiauta
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next