The world of Krynn...in digital, interactive form.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Question on subraces and sorcerers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DouglasThurman

PostSubject: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:02 pm

So as some of you might know, my main character is going to be Rune Stoneweaver. He's a Thiewar Sorcerer. As Sorcerers need DM approval, I was going to ask if Thiewar were a valid subrace?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breathless_Dragon
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Class:

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Yay! Fay gets to braid Rune's beard. lol

DouglasThurman

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:31 pm

*facedesk* sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Black Rider
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Class:

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 am

ATM, the system does not support "Thiewar". So this would result in a false subrace being detected and you get the "helm of falsehood"... Shocked
Plus: We don't really have any special areas of that kind ATM, too... (Still lots of things to be done! Wink )

AKA TheOneBlackRider / An-Marcach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DM Evenstar
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name: Johan Jorumus
Race: Human
Class: Fighter

PostSubject: Soreceror   Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 am

I love the Theirwar sorcerer. a couple of things ...Going in:

1) There is no special sub-race engine for the race, currently. That could change in the future but you would have to roll him up again. Also - there are inherent disadvantages (stat-wise) that come with such a race/class combo that...well, could get you killed. Just roll him up as a plain 'ol dwarf and put the sub-race label in the character description, for now. That will save you from the dreaded "Helm of Falsehood."

2) Sorcerers are rare, if not non-existent, at this time, on Krynn. If they were EVER discovered, they would be immediately put to death by conclave mages, who jealously protect the secrets of magic for their gods. Consider another class (multi) and keeping a low profile, to avoid detection. I am a less forgiving DM than many of my counterparts, when it comes to RP death sentences and, frankly, a Theiwar Sorcerer, on the surface of Krynn, in the 580's is a walking death sentence ...on soooo many levels.

3) All the dwarves of Krynn will recognize and despise you. As well, as many other races on the surface. (makes for good story - all that conflict - also difficult RP situations and possibly a very short lifespan)

4) Thorbardin is not completed yet - there will be no "safe-haven" to escape from the forces that will, eventually, if discovered, call for his blood.

As per the building guidelines - approved to play at your own risk. Play smart. And, no crying if the character is apprehended and sentenced at some point - frankly - this character writes his own tragedy. A half-elf looks like a Gold Dragon compared to such a creature.

Kudos for the flavor and imagination required to come up with such a character! Would this be considered "anti-power-building?" Lulz!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breathless_Dragon
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Class:

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi Evenstar - I see that you are trying to enforce the "Sorcerer Class is automatically renegade" rule. In a RP perspective I do agree with this, but I have to warn you... from experience... I tried this on Dragonlance Beginnings and I ended up chasing away a few players.

I would suggest you incude Sorcerers as part of the Tower Guild; they do this on Rise of Honor.

This does not stop players from playing a Renegade - but forcing it on players who like playing Sorcerers will drive them away.

BD

DM Evenstar
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name: Johan Jorumus
Race: Human
Class: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 am

In a word - per 3.5 Dragonlance sourcebook, sorcerers are considered alien abominations of magic. They will not be allowed into the conclave of mages. Nor will that conclave suffer them to exist. It is designed for those who study the art of the power - not those who are born with it (few and far between).

Frankly, no player should want ONLY to play a sorcerer. If it's a deal-breaker, there are plenty of servers who cater to that play style. Having the "most people on the server" doesn't make a server awesome. Having the best players on a server does.

This is the framework: Dragonlance, as per Novels and Modules. Low level magic. Low level items. High adventure and rich story.

Anything that was ruled on another server has no bearing on what we have constructed here.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DouglasThurman

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Seems a bit harsh. Theiwar dwarves are as much a part of Dragonlance as their Hylar cousins. Their way of life is foreign to the rest of Krynn in so much as it's hard to imagine a magic using dwarf. It makes sense to me that their magics would also be as strange as their race. For me, they would all HAVE to be sorcerers seeing as there is no "Moon" magic to speak of that far underground. As for them being automatic renegades, well that's fine I guess. Who's going to mess with a magic using dwarf anyway? Perhaps if the MOD is player driven, I should have Rune create his own towers of magic for the Theiwar or Renegades in general. Hehe. Yes, yes, renegades have no organization to speak of, but what if they did. Oh my the RP that would bring up! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Black Rider
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Class:

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 am

Info: I added "Theiwar Dwarf" as a subrace. So it should be recognized now. Did not find the time to test, though!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DouglasThurman

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:47 am

Black Rider wrote:
Info: I added "Theiwar Dwarf" as a subrace. So it should be recognized now. Did not find the time to test, though!

Sweet cheese on a popsicle stick. Rune LIVES!  cheers   Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Black Rider
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Class:

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:14 am

Douglas! Welcome back! Saw, that you visited the server!  Very Happy 

DouglasThurman wrote:
...  Perhaps if the MOD is player driven, I should have Rune create his own towers of magic for the Theiwar or Renegades in general.  Hehe.  Yes, yes, renegades have no organization to speak of, but what if they did.  Oh my the RP that would bring up!  Very Happy

We already added areas by player demand. So, why not?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DouglasThurman

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Black Rider wrote:
Douglas! Welcome back! Saw, that you visited the server!  Very Happy 

DouglasThurman wrote:
...  Perhaps if the MOD is player driven, I should have Rune create his own towers of magic for the Theiwar or Renegades in general.  Hehe.  Yes, yes, renegades have no organization to speak of, but what if they did.  Oh my the RP that would bring up!  Very Happy

We already added areas by player demand. So, why not?

*Rubs hands together and cracks open the toolset* Game ON!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Armageddon
Admin

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Class:

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Dwarves,,, horrid little creatures,,, Magic wielding dwarves.... well not for a few hundred years at least...  lol! 

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Armageddon wrote:
Dwarves,,,  horrid little creatures,,,   Magic wielding dwarves....   well not for a few hundred years at least...   lol! 

Wait...wha?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on subraces and sorcerers   

Back to top Go down

Question on subraces and sorcerers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DragonLance Chronicles Reborn :: General :: Player Chat ( OOC )-
Jump to: